Click to complete the APPLICATION FORM electronically. Please fill in the required fields and tick boxes and save the document prior to emailing or printing.
IF YOU ARE SENDING A PRINTED APPLICATION FORM:
Print the form and attachments on one side only of A4 paper and do not staple or bind anything.
Fees are payable only if the application is successful.
This guide refers to sections in the form.
1. Applicant Details - Visit www.aerosociety.com/membership for guidance on the range of qualifications and experience for membership. Designations are the letters (e.g. BSc, OBE, etc) after a person's name. Copies of academic or professional qualifications are not needed to apply for Membership (but are required for Engineering Council registration). Copies of each page in a licence, e.g. a pilot or EASA 1 CAA licence, are required.
2. Professional Referees: The two referees should be known in a professional capacity (e.g. a member of the Society or a line manager); the Society reserves the right to contact them about any statement in the application. If applying for FRAeS, the referees should be Fellows of the Society (or hold a similar level of membership in another professional body); contact the Society or visit: www.aerosociety.com/membership for assistance.
If the application is also for Engineering Council registration, one of the referees will have to sign your Qualifying Report and must be a registered engineer.
3. Engineering Council Registration: Applicants should usually hold, or be eligible for, the following grades of membership: CEng - Member (MRAeS) or above; lEng –Associate Member (AMRAeS) or above; EngTech - Associate (ARAeS) or above. Interim registration is for graduates with an accredited degree.
Visit www.aerosociety.com/membership for details of the required documentation that needs to accompany this application together with the venues and dates for interviews.
4. Payment Instructions: - Payments will be collected from the card when the Society has approved the grades of membership and registration applied for. Visit www.aerosociety.com/membership for current membership rates.
5. Gift Aid Your Subscription and Donations: - Please consider this option if a UK taxpayer; all Gift Aid donations support the Society's charitable work.
6. Applicant's Declaration: - Please note the last sentence, "I accept the Society reserves the right to expel me if any of the information in this form and any accompanying I documentation are found to be falsified". When the committee of membership experts meets, a random selection of applicants for membership will be chosen to provide copies of their qualifications or to verify aspects of their jobs; please be ready to give this information.
What happens after the Society receives the application form:
An email will be sent to confirm receipt. Additional information may be requested if necessary. The Society's Grading Committee is responsible for deciding the most appropriate grade for each applicant and whether they should proceed
to interview for registration (if applicable): it meets every two months; visit www.aerosociety.com/membership for dates.
Where the Committee approves the grade of membership applied for, an email is sent to confirm the decision and the fees that will be deducted from the card shown in Section 4. The certificate of election is sent to applicants and the names of elected members are published in The Aerospace Professional. Please note applications approved for FRAeS have also to be endorsed by the Society's Council.
Where the committee approves lEng or CEng registration subject to a successful interview, an email is sent to confirm the venue, date and time. Details of successful applicants are forwarded to Engineering Council. Fees for registration (and membership if applicable, will be deducted at the same time).
Applicants not approved for the grade requested will be provided with feedback.